Monday, March 11, 2013

I CAN EAT A WHOLE PLANT


   We had such a fun day that started off with little leprechaun footprints. I had green sparkly paint and left the "footprints" all over the room and turned the chairs upside down. The kids were SO excited! It was absolutely adorable!










We are still having a blast with our seeds/plants unit. Today, we labeled plant parts using our clipboards in the circle (where's my picture!?).

Then, I asked if the students had ever eaten plants. They were all, "EWWWWW!" I told them that today they would eat seeds, flowers, stems, leaves AND roots! Again- "EWWWWW!" 
I proceeded to give each table a plate of carrots, spinach, peas, celery and broccoli. I told them that these were all plant parts and they had to guess and sort where all of the parts belonged. This is what happened:

They loved it! Most students did not match them correctly to begin with (see above). 
However, we went over each part together and placed them correctly. It was so fun! Then we tasted each plant part and the students decided whether they liked it or not by filling in the happy or sad face next to each plant part.
As a conclusion, we drew a picture of our experience and sound spelled a sentence or two. I was really impressed with my little kinders! I didn't give them any ideas of what to write- this first one is my absolute favorite! Great vocabulary!


Well, the bean was not very appetizing.


The plant I ate was peas and celery and carrots.



 We ended up not discussing the fruit of the plant until we snacked on them all later in the day. At that point, we added in our fruit- tomatoes with some Ranch dressing. Yummy!


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday



Also, want a HUGE St. Patrick's Day freebie, too! Check out yesterday's post. Centers and worksheets and coloring pages, oh my!


And I leave you with my little boy toothless wonder who lost BOTH of his front teeth within the last two days. Adorable! I love how he talks now!



18 comments:

  1. Thank you for the freebie! That will be great to add to my unit on plants! You leprechaun footprints are funny and your little guy is adorable showing off his toothless smile!
    xoxo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN!! :) I'm glad your kiddos enjoyed your leprechaun footprints! Mine were just freaked out...haha!!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun! Our kids have no sense of what we really eat as plant parts, so this would be great for them! My son lost both of his front teeth in two days, one on his birthday!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the plant activity. Never thought of doing it that way!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicki! It wasn't mine- but I have no clue where I saw it. Somewhere on Pinterest but I forgot to pin! Darn!

      Delete
  5. How adorable are those little footprints?! I am so going to do that. My kids will go bananas. Really like the plant activity! Anything with food is a winner in my mind :) Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Hugs!
    Khrys
    Keepinitkoolinkinderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that it is a healthy snack, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...your little guy is so cute! I am going to have to leave little footprints this year. I've never done that before but they will eat it up..thanks for the fun ideas :)
    Elizabeth
    Kickin’ it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great worksheets! I will definitely use them with my science class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great worksheets! I will definitely use them with my science class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the freebies and the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover